Purchase Online Class
Now you can do your driving class online! DMV approved 30 hour online classroom course. All locations. Please see testing procedures below. You must purchase this class first before you receive your online login. Download your class application below.
Main Office: 540-362-0022
8202 Williamson Road
Roanoke, VA 24019
South Roanoke: 540-362-0022
6405 Merriman Rd #101
Roanoke, VA 24018
2315 Memorial Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24501
Steps to Student Completion for the Virginia driver education course.
- Drive This Way will receive registration information from each student who selects to take online driver education.
- Drive This Way will then register each student.
- The student immediately receives a user name, password, and link to the course website.
- The student logs in and begins the approved online course as instructed.
- For help or technical assistance call 800-942-2050.
- The student receives a directive to return to the affiliate school to take the final exam. The student is given written verification of completion of the theory portion of driver education. This document verifies to the affiliate school that the student has completed this portion of the course and is ready to take the final exam.
- A Drive This Way licensed instructor logs in to the course and opens the testing site for each student who presents the written verification of completion document entering their seven digit student authorization code.
- The student takes the final examination online in the presence of the licensed instructor.
- The course grades the test and reveals the results. If the student passes the course, the instructor will receive the certificate of completion for that student and can continue with the behind-the-wheel portion of the course or issue the certificate to the student when there is a request to transfer. If the student fails the examination, the student will be allowed to review any section of the completed course to prepare to take the examination again.
Additional Procedures and Info
The program consists of at least 30 hours of instructions and includes components about alcohol safety, drug abuse awareness, aggressive driving, distracted driving, pedestrian and bicycle safety, handicapped parking, fuel efficient driving practices, motorcycle awareness and organ and tissue donation awareness as required by law.
You must be at least 15 years and 6 months old to take the online driver education course. All individuals who elect to take the classroom component of the driver’s education course online must take the online course through a DMV licensed driver training school. Home-schooled students are exempt from this requirement.
In order to benefit from the course, you must be able to work independently and be comfortable with using a computer.
On the day of testing, you must bring the following to the test site:
- Photo identification (DMV issued identification card, school issued identification card, valid passport or military identification)
- Proof of completion of the online driver education course
- A completed “Parental Consent for Online Driver Education Examination” (DTS 62), if you are under age 18
- Proof of completion of the additional 90-minute parent/teen course if you are under age 18 and live in Planning District 8 (counties of
- Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William and cities of
- Alexandria, Fairfax, Manassas and Manassas Park)
- The online driver training school will provide a computer for testing.
The Department of Motor Vehicles is committed to promoting transportation safety through the certification of quality driver training programs. If you have any comments or concerns about this course, call the DMV toll- free at 1-877-885-5790.